'A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever!'

"Beautiful and joyous butterfly

You seldom come to my terrace garden

I keep calling and calling you

You do not respond.

Is it fair to have such disdain of me

Because of the ephemeral beauty of wings."


"Misunderstanding gardener or poet,

Whatever you prefer to be called

You have mistaken me for wings

When you think you are addressing beauty

In reality, you are addressing glamour

Now look again,

There was an ugly caterpillar

Grazing on your cauliflowers

You thought you had the only right over your food

And wished that it may die

You sprayed sugar syrup over me

So that the ants may carry me to their burrows

Then you tried organic pesticides

That concoction of chilly and garlic.

Cursed me,

And sentenced it to death

You questioned "The Intelligence"

Of the necessity of its creation


Somehow, I survived

And now I see that you are a butterfly lover

The problem with the human perception

Is that it cannot perceive the circle

The butterfly is a caterpillar with wings

Or anything beyond outwardly lustre

Though your generations have kept on writing and stuttering

'A thing of beauty is a joy forever'

Though in my brief span

I have seen both your aspects

So I keep on moving from garden to garden

You call my glamour, beauty

And my independence, disdain!"



Comments